Friday, August 17, 2007

The Frames of Time

I have found that teaching my children how to tell time is imminently easier than teaching them what time actually is.
“When are we going to the pool?”
“In an hour.”
“How long is an hour?”
“It’s 60 minutes.”
“Oh. How long is a minute?”
The solution to this time troubling dilemma however, has been resolved within the intricacies of our own family.

The following are a few examples of how the frames of time have evolved in our home:

Q: When are we going to the pool?
A: In about a tantrum.

Q: Mom, when is it lunch time?
A: In just a few complaints.

Q: When will daddy be home from work?
A: About a fist fight from now.

Brett and I have not come out unscathed by our demented sense of time either.

“I ran into Rick today”
“Wow, how long has it been since you’ve seen him?”
“Must be about 2 kids now. I mentioned having him over for dinner next paycheck.”
“I thought we were going to go camping, what about next mortgage instead? Oh, before I forget, your brother called a few tantrums ago and wants to borrow your saw.”
“Great, last time he borrowed something I didn’t see it for 3 kids, 7 utility bills and a nightshift.”

No comments: